Program Learning Outcomes
The REAL (Reimagining English as an Additional Language) program acknowledges and celebrates the previous existence of home languages, cultures, and multilingualism. Compared to English as a Foreign or English as a Second Language (EFL/ESL), English as an Additional Language (EAL) has a broader reach as EAL learners embrace their mother tongue and culture in the classroom as a linguistic resource used to learn English. The goals of the REAL program are:
The program’s educational outcomes are:
REAL Intensive English
Westcliff University's REAL program prepares international students for success at an international university with key professional skills necessary in today’s global market. Intensive, 8-week courses take students from elementary to upper-intermediate English proficiency in all skills. Courses are communicative and student-centered with a special focus on academic language and cross-cultural communication. During their final semester in the (REAL) Intensive English, students can begin their degree program at Westcliff University.
REAL Intensive English
- Save money on application fees for degree program
- Research practices and information literacy Skills
- Earn an English certificate + degree credits in each level
- Fully immersive into the US and higher-education culture
- Professional skills and academic skills instruction to ease the transition into Westcliff University
Topics include academic writing, course communication, research, critical reading and comprehension, technology, cultural immersion activities and excursions, as well as personal management strategies, for example time management skills and individual learning styles.
Online and On-Campus Programs
The REAL program is divided into 5 levels. Students can test into any of the levels from low beginner to upper-intermediate. The REAL program offers tutorial services and 24-hour support to advise students on their future academic and professional goals. Students who successfully complete REAL 301 will have the English proficiency required for undergraduate studies at Westcliff University. Students who successfully complete REAL 401 will have the required English proficiency to enter graduate programs at Westcliff University.
Travel to the United States and learn English at Westcliff University campus in Irvine, California.
- Live classroom with professors and classmates
- 20 hours of live instruction + 5 hours of lab work per week.
- Face-to-face interaction
- Use the language you learn outside the classroom
- Study internationally at an American university
We understand it is difficult to move to another country; this is why learning online is a great option.
- Flexibility of remotely studying at an American university
- Same as the intensive English program on campus
- The flipped classroom model is used in the online program. This allows for direct instruction to move from the classroom to the individual learning space. Consequently, classroom time is transformed into a dynamic, interactive learning environment, where instructors guide students as they apply language notions and functions while engaging creatively in their own learning process.
- High School Diploma (Graduate Communications Pathway admission requires UG degree)
- Proof of English language proficiency (A1 - C2 accepted)
- A scanned copy of government-issued ID
- Electronic Application
- Students applying to the Pathway programs receive conditional acceptance to degree programs
- Complete Electronic Application
- Application fee: $50.00 (US)
- Payment (options available: PayPal, Bank Wire Transfers, Flywire, Bank Letters)
- Colored, scanned copies of government-issued ID
- NOT REQUIRED - Copy of English test score for example CPE, TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo.