Irvine & Costa Mesa
Irvine, CA is home to so many amazing high class and hole-in-the-wall places to eat. Foodies should check out some of our local favorites!
- Chef Hung is a local restaurant known for its Taiwanese beef noodle soup.
- Jollibee is a Philippines-based chain known for its burgers, fried chicken, spaghetti & Filipino dishes.
- Looking for delicious Italian food? Check out Il Fornaio Cucina Italiana
- Enjoy delicious Greek/Mediterranean style food right next to campus at Apola Gyro Grill.
- One of our favorite local coffee spots is Portola Coffee Lab.
- Grab a milk tea (and don’t forget the boba!) at Milk Box.
- Want Russian food? It’s more of a market than a restaurant, but delicious gourmet items can be found at Moscow Deli of Orange County.
- BCD Tofu House is a casual Korean restaurant chain serving classic fare such as soft-tofu soup, bibimbop & bulgogi.
- Visit Gen Korean BBQto grill your own food tableside. Get there early because there’s always a wait (but, it’s so worth it)!
- Dying for some Mexican food? La Sirena Grill serves up some of the best tacos in Irvine.
- Check out CoCo ICHIBANYAfor contemporary Japanese street food.
- Looking for a popular bakery nearby? Give 85*C Bakery Cafe a try.
- Craving pad thai? Thai Kitchen is a must-go!
- Annapoorna Fina Indian Cuisine has some of the best deals on local Indian food.
- If you’re into delicious, but still healthy food, try Avocado Cafe Irvine.
- Want to try a scrumptious whole-in-the-wall type of place? Visit Tasty Noodle House.
- Are you a fan of seafood? Try Pier 76 Fish Grill.
- Check out Luna Grill for delicious Mediterranean style dishes.
- BJs Restaurant and Brewhouse is a local favorite! With many locations across Southern California, you can have a variety of different American style food. They also brew their own beer.
- At Blaze Pizza, you can choose each of the toppings for yourself and get a personal pizza that delights the senses.
- Eureka! is another local favorite! Try any number of their scrumptious options, and you won’t regret it.
- Orange and Los Angeles Counties are host to numerous movie theaters that show some of the hottest new films as well as older movies.
- Spend a day at one of the nearby amusement parks! Experience the magic and wonder of Disneyland or the high energy roller-coasters at Knott’s Berry Farm and Six Flags Magic Mountain.
- Go bowling at one of the local bowling lanes!
- Bowlmor Lanes in Irvine/Tustin
- AMF Cerritos Lanes
- Keystone Lanes in Cerritos
- Round 1 in Lakewood
- Check out some of the scenic beaches and shopping in Laguna Beach and Newport Beach! Or enjoy the warmth of a bonfire at Huntington Beach or Bolsa Chica State Beach.
- There are many local concert venues and music halls. Have fun and rock out to local and national/international artists at one of these awesome locations! You can also explore which concerts are coming soon to one of these local venues atLiveNation.com.
- FivePoint Amphitheatre
- The Observatory
- The Yost Theater
- The House of Blues Anaheim
- The Hollywood Bowl
- The Fonda Theatre
- The Microsoft Theatre
- Enjoy hockey? Hit up an Anaheim Ducks Hockey or a Los Angeles Kings Hockey game. Most seats are affordable and games are a must-see!
- Do you enjoy dancing? Visit ATOMIC Ballroom in Irvine or in Fullerton! You can take dance lessons or just go dancing with others who also love to move. Try the Swing and Lindy Hop nights for a fantastic time!
- Do you enjoy plays or musicals?
- Cerritos Center
- Cerritos College Theater
- Long Beach Playhouse
- Segerstrom Center for the Arts
- Laguna Playhouse
- Modjeska Playhouse
- Shopping at one of many local centers.
- The Marketplace Tustin and Irvine
- The Outlets at Orange
- Irvine Spectrum Center
- The Shops at Mission Viejo
- South Coast Plaza
- Fashion Island in Newport Beach
- Los Cerritos Center
- Lakewood Center
- Norwalk Town Center
- Long Beach Towne Center
- Museums! There is an incredible variety of museums in Los Angeles and Orange Counties and each of them has something unique to see.
- Bowers Museum
- Heritage Museum of Orange County
- Laguna Art Museum
- Marconi Automotive Museum
- International Surfing Museum
- Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum
- Discovery Cube OC
- Orange County Museum of Art (OCMA)
- The Getty Center
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA)
- Norton Simon Museum
- Museum of Tolerance
- LA County Fire Museum
- Columbia Memorial Space Center
- D.D. Johnston-Hargitt House Museum
- Marriott Irvine
- Wyndham Irvine-Orange County Airport
- The Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa
- The Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport
- Hotel Irvine
- Sheraton Cerritos Hotel
- Courtyard by Marriott Long Beach Airport
- Homewood Suites by Hilton
The closest airports to Westcliff University are John Wayne Airport, Orange County, Long Beach Airport, and Los Angeles International Airport.
John Wayne Airport (SNA), named for the famous “old west” actor John Wayne, is about 35 miles south of Los Angeles, CA and just a 10-minute drive from WU.
Long Beach Airport (LGB), situated for easy access to both Los Angeles and Orange Counties, is about a 30-minute drive from WU.
All faculty, staff, and students are eligible to become members of the Schools Federal Credit Union. Students can apply for low-interest loans and a free interest-earning checking account. The college account package is available for students to help manage their finances.
Urgent Cares & Hospitals
There are several nearby hospitals and urgent care centers if students are in need of medical care.
Urgent Care Centers
- Irvine Urgent Care
- Hoag Urgent Care
- Irvine Woodbridge Walk-In Urgent Care
- Orchard Medical Offices in Downey
- Garden Grove Medical Offices
Hospitals and Medical Centers
- Hoag Hospital
- Irvine Medical Center in Orange County/Kaiser Permanente
- UCI Medical Center
- Saddleback Hospital
- Mission Hospital
- Kaiser Downey Medical Center
Hiking in Orange County
Orange County has some absolutely gorgeous places to hike and explore. If you enjoy the exercise and adventure, opt outside (#OptOutside) and journey off on one of the many trails. There is a variety of OC Regional and Wilderness Parks that offer some exciting experiences.
If you’re not a regular hiker or don’t know So Cal very well, be sure to acquaint yourself with the different types of wildlife that you might encounter before you head out. The OC Parks provide a list of important hiking safety tips.
- Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park is home to the Red Rock Canyon trail, an easy in and out beginner hike, along with many other hikes. Your end goal is sometimes called the “Grand Canyon of Orange County.”
- The easy hike out to Holy Jim Falls is shady and beautiful. The Falls can provide a nice little spot to sit down and have a snack before you head back.
- Back Bay Newport houses several easy hikes and gives you a chance to get to know the coastal wildlife.
- Santiago Peak is the tallest peak of Saddleback Mountain – which reigns supreme over much of South O.C.
- The slightly smaller Modjeska Peak is also part of Saddleback Mountain and is a bit less of an elevation gain.
- Black Star Canyon is sometimes better known for its spooky stories, hauntings, and (sometimes unwelcoming) residents. But, if you head out there during the daylight hours, be prepared for partially paved and partially unpaved trails that lead to majestic forests, scrambling over boulders, and a good size waterfall at the end.
- The Aliso & Woods Canyon Parks have a huge amount of different trails that range from superbly easy to very difficult. One of these hikes is the Top of the World trail that leads up to a stunning view of Laguna Beach and other coastal areas. You might even feel like you’re on top of the world!
- Quail Hill Trail is an easy local loop hike that is dog-friendly (must be on leash) and (in the right season) is full of wildflowers.
- The Long Beach El Dorado Nature Center offers an oasis of natural habitat and creates a sanctuary for animals and plants. There are numerous trails and lakes to explore.
- The City of Fullerton is also home to a wealth of different recreation activities and approximately 28 miles of hiking trails.